To Peek or not to Peek?
When you’re preparing for a race, do you run the route beforehand? I was on the fence about testing out the Charlottesville Fall Classic [10K] route, because when I run without knowing where I’m going, it seems less painful to me [my mind works in mysterious ways].
Curiosity got the best of me once I checked out the trail online and saw it goes along the Rivanna River [one of my bucket list to-dos is to run the Rivanna Trail], so after writing down the route:
Shaun and I set off to test the trail. Thank GOODNESS I did, because there was one hill that potentially would have killed me had I left it until the day of the race. We modified the start/finish so we could begin at our house, and finished the 10K in 53 minutes. It was a gorgeous run through the woods and new neighborhoods. Some of the houses were insanely beautiful! Charlottesville really is an awesome town.
This weekend is going to be a weekend full of celebrations. We’re heading to Virginia Beach for my future mother-in-law’s [belated] birthday, and Shaun’s best man’s birthday, too! It should be a great trip because I haven’t seen Shaun’s parents or friends since we got engaged, and everyone has yet to meet Grady.
I wanted to make sure we had something fun to listen to in the car, so I spent a little bit of time finishing up another pre-summer legacy mixtape. I haven’t even put it onto a CD for Shaun yet, so you’re truly getting the opportunity for a first listen. This one is a little bit more relaxed, maybe beach-y [or park-y now], if you will. It also reflects some of the newer records I’ve been attached to – the new A.A. Bondy, Peter Wolf Crier and Blind Pilot.
I’m a tad bit hesitant to share this one since it hasn’t been given the listen-straight-through-with-car-speakers treatment yet, but I think it has a decent flow. If anything changes, I’ll update. Of course, requests for mixtapes are always welcome! If there’s interest, I’m thinking of archiving all of my old ones, and maybe the ones Shaun and Erin have made, too.
#28 – An Autumnal, Yet Summery Blend
1. “Suburban War” – Arcade Fire [The Suburbs]
2. “The Twist” – A. A. Bondy [Believers]
3. “Chop and Change” – The Black Keys [Twilight: Eclipse Soundtrack]*
4. “The Loneliness and the Scream” – Frightened Rabbit [The Loneliness and the Scream]
5. “Krishnamurti” – Peter Wolf Crier [Garden of Arms]
6. “A Machine Spiritual (In the People’s Key)” – Bright Eyes” [The People's Key]
7. “We Are the Tide” – Blind Pilot [We are the Tide]
8. “Unbearable Why” – Dr. Dog [Shame, Shame]
9. “Day Dreams” – Raphael Saadiq [Stone Rollin']
10. “Gnomes” – Sea of Bees [Songs for the Ravens]
Off to get on the road!
* Nope, don’t like the books or movies. Lean more toward strongly dislike. Great soundtracks, though. Plus, the Black Keys are pretty much awesome.